This Blog


Welcome to my blog!

This is a place for my thoughts, wrestlings and observations. There'll be imperfect thoughts and ideas (maybe even some good ones)! Thanks for your reading time and I look forward to reading your comments!


Blessings!


Wednesday 7 May 2014

"Well, what do you know?"

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart.  Never rely on what you think you know.  Remember the Lord in everything you do, and he will show you the right way." (Prov 3:5-6, Today's English Version)

I was sitting in one of the Sunday school classrooms at the church I'm interning at, and I saw the above verse on the wall.  It had been a craft that a group of students put together.  I confess it was from a translation I had never heard of before (my translation list isn't as bountiful as it probably should be), but it stood out to me this morning (and not because of the bright pink paper it was pasted on).

It spoke to me because I realized just how many assumptions I make everyday.  I assume I know where people are coming from.  I assume I know their situation.  I assume I have a better answer to the question than they do.  I assume they're being self-righteous and I'm humble.  I assume...I assume...I ASS-ume...

How foolish have I been to believe that I could possibly know anything about another person without journeying with them?

This reflection comes from an experience I had at a Presbytery meeting last night.  There were a few people who got up to speak to make various motions, discussions, etc. (all very Presbyterian) and I found myself assuming I knew something about them.  The sinful voice within me started judging these people, when all the while I was sitting there not having a CLUE as to what was going on.  I was halfway between consciousness and enthused passing of judgment on people.  This is not a healthy place to be.

The above verse reminded me that my assumptions don't help anyone.  In fact, assumptions in general are just signs of our inability to trust in God.  Our assumptions come out of a place of trying to control the conversation.  It's easier to disagree and argue with someone if you don't have to engage them in a proper relationship.

This verse tells us to trust in the Lord with all our hearts and to remember the Lord in everything we do, because when we trust God and remember God, we'll see the other through God's eyes.  We'll be able to appreciate and love others and respond to them as beloved children of God; rather than making quick assumptions.

I feel like this is a rather simplistic notion, yet I fall victim of it so often.  It may be easy to explain, but not as easy to live out.

No comments:

Post a Comment